Sunday, May 8, 2011

May 8 update

Yesterday I tied my tomatoes & suckered them, planted a few more sweet potato slips.  I still have more to plant, but their roots aren't developed enough to go outside.  I planted two rose bushes, a deep lavender with a heavenly fragrance.  The label said "heritage rose", but I don't know what variety.  I'll have to do some research & compare pictures of blooms.  I also have a yellow one to plant, very pretty blooms, but absolutely no fragrance. 

I have been working quite a bit in my flower bed at the front of the house.  I have transplanted iris, day lilies, phlox, purple coneflower, pink pincushion flower, dahlias, physotegia and gladiolas.  I bought two pitiful clematis half price at Lowe's, but they do have signs of life, so hopefully they will take off & grow.

The strawberries have been ripening, but my 2 1/2 year old granddaughter has gotten most of those. 

Here are a few pictures I took this afternoon.

Overall view: 
POLE BEANS
 

CORN


TOMATOES


TOMATO BLOSSOMS

EGGPLANT THAT SURVIVED 34 DEGREES

Eggplants are supposed to be very tender, but I kept mine in the cold frame through the early spring & after I planted them into the garden we had temps down to 37 and 34 and it didn't seem to faze them at all.  This variety is Ping Tung.


No comments:

Search This Blog