Friday, July 2, 2010

I've been quite proud of myself for posting on here as often as I do.  There are so many blogs that I admire & I hope mine gets better.

The tomatoes are really starting to come in, soon will be able to can some of them.  I usually can stewed tomatoes with bell pepper, celery & onion with sugar.  We use a lot of these in homemade salsa.  I've tried to can salsa using different recipes, but we just don't care for the taste.

I have placed a second order with Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds at Rare Seeds.  I ordered the following for Fall planting:
  • Chinese Pak Choy
  • Long Island Improved Brussels Sprouts
  • Perfection Savoy Drumhead Cabbage  
  • Jaune Obtuse du Doubs Carrot
  • Giant Musselburgh Leek
  • Rocky Top Lettuce Mix
  • Red Wing Lettuce Mix 
  • Honey Boat Delicata Squash
  • Muscade Carrot 
  • Cilantro, Slo-Bolt
  • Dill, elephant
 and the following for next year:
  • Yellow Monster Pepper 
  • Orangeglo Watermelon
I'm a big fan of Baker Creek, their prices are fair, packet size is generous, they have a good selection and best of all $3.00 flat rate shipping.

On the official Square Foot Gardening site forum the topic of supplemental fertilizing came up.  I have used manure tea for a long time.  I place it in the leg of an old pantyhose to contain all of the solid matter & put it in a 5 gallon bucket, then fill with water & let it set for a day.  I use a brass siphon hose mixer.  It's the neatest little gadget.  You place it on your water spigot, then connect the water hose to the end of it, place the siphon tube into your bucket of liquid fertilizer & as you water it automatically siphons & mixes the fertilizer. First pictures is from Hozon and the second is from Growers Solution.








2 comments:

Rainsong said...

I've never seen one of those before. I use compost tea and fish fertilizer, if I had rabbits like the old days, I would use their litter for compost tea. But I always have to hand water. The things you learn!

kitsapFG said...

Compost tea is a great supplemental feed for the garden. I used to have one of those siphon fertilizers but have no idea where it has gotten to!? I generally fertilize using either granular/dry organic fertilizer or if a emulsion drench, I just use my large watering can and apply by hand. I think I should have side dressed my onions more this year though - they are not sizing up like they should and I am a bit dissappointed in them.

Search This Blog