Thursday, January 26, 2012

When to start seeds?

I fixed my handy, dandy seed storage box last night.  It's a 30 minute drive to the nearest store that would have had the foam board, so I made do with what I had.  I had an over-sized shoe box with attached lid from hubby's New Balance sneakers & used it.   Mine only has 9 divisions in it instead of 12, but I am organizing mine a little differently since I wouldn't be planting something all 12 months of the year.   No pictures yet because I want to spruce it up a bit first.

But how do you decide when to start your seeds?  The first obvious step is to find your frost dates, which you can find by Zip Code here: USDA Plant Hardiness Zone Map


There are several ways to figure out when you should start certain seeds, but I have been using Clyde's Garden Planner for a few seasons.

It is the handiest little gadget.  On one side is a sliding chart for Spring planting, on the other is for Fall Planting.   It lists indoor seeding dates, first outdoor planting, last outdoor planting and expected harvest for a variety of common vegetables.     You just slide the chart to your average frost date & everything is all lined up for you!   How cool is that?


Johnny's Seeds has several tools for planning your garden, including Fall planting calculator, target harvest date calculator and others.

Organic Gardening has a simple printable chart. 

And don't forget your local County Extension Office.  You can find your local office HERE.


No comments:

Search This Blog